This morning three of our coordinators, Nina Hamilton, Kristi Friend and Tammy Cress, were interviewed about the Mattawan Food Packs program. Look for the upcoming interview in the Kalamazoo, MI area on WWMT Channel 3 on October 12, 2012 during … Continue reading
Mattawan Food Packs began with the 2011-2012 school year. It was started through Generous Hands Inc. in Vicksburg, MI. Generous Hands taught us how to create and maintain a successful food pack program and as a result, we provided 25 children with healthy, kid friendly food every weekend throughout the 2011-2012 school year.
Beginning with the 2012-2013 school year Mattawan Food Packs will be working with the Mattawan Area Pantry to provide children in the Early El, Later El and Middle School with supplemental weekend food assistance which will enable children to ‘help themselves’ by means of a Friday back pack.
Just what is a Friday back pack?
- It is an ordinary back pack, which is numbered for identification and confidentiality
- It is filled with nutritional, easy to use food items such as peanut butter, granola bars, fruit cups, cereal, juice boxes, microwave meals
- All items are individually prepackaged and ready to eat or microwave
- Includes a weekly voucher for milk which can be redeemed at Wagoner’s Foods in Mattawan
- One jar of peanut butter per month
By partnering with Mattawan Area Pantry, a non profit organization, we are able to make your donation dollars stretch even further. As a result, we are excited to be able to provide 60 children with weekend food throughout the upcoming 2012-2013 school year.
This program is supported totally from community donations. If you would like to donate, checks should be made out and mailed to:
Mattawan Area Pantry
P. O. Box 155
Mattawan, MI 49071
100% of your donation will go directly to feeding hungry children in Mattawan.
All donations are tax deductible.
$123.00 will feed one child for 35 weekends of the school year
$ 14.00 will feed one child for one month
$ 3.50 will feed one child for one weekend